Organ Donation Awareness
Indian society has been aware of cadaveric Eye Donation for decades now. But the concept of Skin Donation is new to our society. Pune’s first and India’s 4th Skin Bank was inaugurated at Surya Hospital on February 13th, 2012 at the hands of Dr. Welsely Bodha, Director, Euro Tissue Bank, Amsterdam. This skin bank is a joint endeavour of Rotary Club of Khadki, Surya Hospitals Pvt. Ltd, Sahyadri Hospitals and Samavedana.
Samavedana regularly organises awareness events that promote the importance of skin & organ donation. We are actively involved in creating awareness about Skin and Organ Donations. Zonal Transplant Coordination Committee (ZTCC) supports and guides us in this programme.
More about Skin Donation:
- Only Thin layer of skin from thighs and back is taken
- There is no Disfigurement and Bleeding
- No match required between donor and recipient is required
- Age between 15 and 70 years
- No Skin Disease No HIV / Hepatitis ‘ C’/ HBsAg
- No Skin Cancer
- No generalized infection
- Call 24 hour Burn Helpline 98909 55551, within 6 hours of death.
- A skin recovery team comprising a doctor, nurse and attendant will reach your home or hospital.
- Skin is harvested from thighs and back in about 45 minutes.
- The donor area is bandaged properly and the body is then handed over to the relatives.
To Know more about organ donation or enquire about campaigns, pledge forms or queries, contact iGiftlife.